The Retirement Commissioner monitors the impact of legislation and proposed variations, providing advice and recommendations to the Minister.
The Commissioner is also required to promote education about retirement village issues, and is responsible for administering the disputes process and approving members to the disputes panel.
Retirement Villages Act 2003
The Retirement Villages Act 2003 (the Act), its regulations and the Code of Practice protect the interests of residents and intending residents of retirement villages, and define the obligations of retirement village operators.
The Act makes provision for:
- Registration of retirement villages
- Occupation right agreements between operators and residents
- The Code of Residents' Rights
- A complaints facility
- A disputes resolution process
- A code of practice
The Act also defines the role of the:
- Retirement Commissioner
- Statutory supervisors
- Registrar of Retirement Villages
Read the Retirement Villages Act 2003.
Retirement Villages (Disputes Panel) Regulations 2006
You can view the full text of the Retirement Villages (Disputes Panel) Regulations 2006 on the New Zealand Legislation website.
Read more about retirement village disputes.
Code of Practice 2008
The Code of Practice 2008 for retirement villages sets out the rights and obligations of operators and residents. It provides a set of minimum requirements that all retirement village operators must comply with. In 2011 the Retirement Commissioner reviewed the Code of Practice. This included consultation with interested parties and resulted in some amendments.
Read more about the Code of Practice 2008.
Code of Residents’ Rights
The Code of Residents' Rights summarises the basic rights the Retirement Villages Act gives to all residents. A copy of it must be given to intending residents. A poster and handout summarising the Code of Residents' Rights are available.
Read more about the Code of Residents' Rights.
- Retirement Villages Act 2003
- Retirement Villages (Disputes Panel) Regulations 2006
- Companies Office website: Retirement villages
- MBIE Building and Housing Group: Retirement villages
- Financial Markets Authority – Licensed Trustees and Statutory Supervisors