The National Strategy for Financial Capability 2015-2025
New Zealand’s National Strategy for Financial Capability is a practical framework for raising the financial capability of New Zealanders. With over 130 partners and counting, the National Strategy is collectively owned by government, community groups and private sector organisations. Getting Kiwis ahead financially will be due to the success of all of us, working together to have the biggest impact.
The National Strategy has five work streams: to get New Zealanders to talk and learn about money, to plan for the future, to be debt-smart and to save and invest. CFFC’s Financial Capability Summit brings New Zealanders from up and down the country together to share successes and tackle the challenge of building the financial capability of Kiwis at all ages and all stages.
You can learn more about the ways that the National Strategy is helping everyone get ahead financially under each of the five pillars.
- Talk - a cultural shift where it’s easy to talk about money
- Learn - effective financial learning throughout life
- Plan - everyone has a current financial plan
- Debt-smart - people make smart use of debt
- Save/Invest - everyone saving and investing
In 2017 a total of 130 organisations supported or contributed to the National Strategy.
Read more in our 2017 Snapshot survey.
You can download a copy of the National Strategy here.
Government statement on Financial Capability
The 2015 Government statement on Financial Capability highlights the CFFC National Strategy and the Investor Capability Strategy led by the Financial Markets Authority as frameworks to align collective effort. See more.
Our annual National Strategy snapshot survey helps us map who is delivering financial capability initiatives across New Zealand and the types of initiatives being delivered.
In 2017 we carried out our second survey which reported a total of 130 organisations that supported or contributed to the National Strategy. This includes 241 financial capability initiatives being delivered and 89,100 people taking part. You can download the survey here.
You can provide us with any further ideas or feedback for the website by emailing the Laura Fair, National Strategy Programme Manager email@example.com.
- Financial Capability Snapshot Survey 2016
- APEC Finance Ministers' Policy Statement on Financial Literacy and Education (2012)
- 2012 National Strategy Annual Report (PDF 1.26 MB, Nov 2012)
- 2008 National Strategy (updated 2012)
- National Strategy 2012 fact sheet (PDF 482.92 KB, Sep 2013)