Retirement villages industry at a glance

Commission for Financial Capability (Retirement Commissioner)
Registrar for Retirement Villages
Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE)
Financial Markets Authority (FMA)
Statutory Supervisors
Retirement Villages Association (RVA)
Trustee Corporations Association (TCA)
Retirement Village Residents Association New Zealand Inc.
New Zealand Law Society
Alternative Dispute Resolution organisations
Community Groups
Other Government agencies

snapshot 1


snapshot 1a


snapshot 2


snapshot 3


snapshot 4



Minister for Building and Housing – Nick Smith. The Retirement Commissioner advises on issues relating to retirement villages when requested to do so by the Minister of Building and Housing.

Other Ministers

Minister for Commerce and Consumer Affairs – Paul Goldsmith

Minister for Senior Citizens – Maggie Barry

Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE)

MBIE is the public sector agency with the administrative and policy advisory role on the Retirement Villages Act 2003.

Contact MBIE to:

  • Find information about the Retirement Village Act for residents and operators
  • Download a Code of Practice
  • Find out about fees for retirement village registration

Commission for Financial Capability (CFFC)

CFFC is also the office of the Retirement Commissioner. Under the Retirement Villages Act 2008 the  Retirement Commissioner promotes education and information about retirement villages, monitors the effects of the Act, Regulations and Code of Practice, may make recommendations to the Minister, and oversees the Dispute Panel process.

Contact CFFC to:

  • Find information about the Retirement Village Act, Regulations, Code of Practice and upcoming events
  • Download the ‘Thinking of Living in a Retirement Village’ booklet
  • Find information about statutory supervisors
  • See copies of monitoring reports into the Retirement Village industry

Call the Registrar’s office or the Commission for Financial Capability’s retirement village helpline on 0800 268 269.

Registrar for Retirement Villages

The Registrar for Retirement Villages administers new and existing village annual registration requirements, determines eligibility of a village to be exempted from registration or having a statutory supervisor, maintains a search register and holds copies of various village documentation.

Contact the Registrar for Retirement Villages to:

  • Report an unregistered village
  • Search to see if a village is registered
  • Find out about fees for retirement village registration
  • Find fees and forms for registration or exemptions
  • Search copies of individual villages’ key documents such as the most up to date ORA or the Deed of Supervision, showing who the statutory supervisor is
  • See a list of who the FMA has licensed to be a statutory supervisor

Call the Registrar’s office or the Commission for Financial Capability’s retirement village helpline on 0800 268 269.

Financial Markets Authority (FMA)

FMA approves and licenses entities and individuals to act as statutory supervisors, monitors statutory supervisor compliance, and may receive complaints about statutory supervisors.

Contact FMA to:

  • Find out who current licensed statutory supervisors are and what their obligations are under the Financial Markets Supervisors Act 2011
  • Access a complaint facility for making complaints about statutory supervisors
  • Access application information for becoming licensed as a supervisor

Statutory Supervisors

Statutory Supervisors are licensed by the Financial Markets Authority and are appointed by an operator on registration of a retirement village under a Deed of Supervision. They monitor the financial position of the village, act as an independent stakeholder for payments by residents to operators, and report annually to the Registrar for Retirement Villages and to residents at an Annual General Meeting.

You can find a list of current Statutory Supervisors licensed to serve the Retirement Village Industry under the FMA site here:

You can read more about the role of the statutory supervisors on our website here:

New Zealand Law Society

New Zealand Law Society has a property law section to assist the public in property law and retirement village matters.

Contact the New Zealand Law Society to:

  • access a tool to help find lawyers experienced with retirement village matters in different regions

Community Law Centres: provide free or low-cost legal advice to eligible people (see Community Groups)

Retirement Villages Association (RVA)

The Retirement Villages Association is an industry membership association to which most operators, developers and managers of villages belong.

Contact RVA to:

  • Use a village finder tool
  • Find out if a village is a member of the RVA
  • See details of conferences and forums for operators, managers and developers of Retirement Villages
  • Find out about the Association’s internal complaint process

Retirement Village Residents Association New Zealand Inc.

This growing national body represents retirement village residents, comprised of regional associations.

Contact the Retirement Village Residents Association to:

  • Join a regional group
  • Access information and checklists for residents and intending residents

Alternative Dispute Resolution organisations

There are other organisations that offer more information on alternative dispute resolution or can be used to find a mediator or alternative dispute resolution practitioner:

Community Groups:

Many agencies offer support or information for retirement village residents or intending residents and the public:

Age Concern: charitable organisation dedicated to 65+ year olds. Contact an Age Concern worker with knowledge of services available for the elderly, visiting services, elder abuse and neglect support services.

Grey Power: voluntary organisation with advocacy groups for superannuation, health, and a dedicated retirement villages issues committee.

Citizens Advice Bureau: voluntary organisation promoting general knowledge and helping people to resolve their issues.

Community Law Centres: provide free or low-cost legal advice to eligible people.

Disability Law:  free community service based in Auckland to help disabled people access legal services.

Other Government agencies:

Ministry for Social Development (MSD)

Provides funding to community service providers, income and superannuation services, access to concessions for senior citizens and social housing assessments.

Contact MSD to:

  • access a super gold card directory and forums for senior citizens
  • contact the Office for Senior Citizens, which provides work programmes to help older people have access to information

Work and Income New Zealand (WINZ)

Processes applications for superannuation, financial assistance and residential accommodation allowances.

Ministry of Health

Principal advisor on health and disability for older people, and funds and purchases disability support services nationally.

Contact Ministry of Health to:

  • get information on home support services, long term residential care and needs assessments

District Health Boards

Responsible for providing or funding health services in a particular district.

Health and Disability Commissioner

Administers consumer complaints about health or disability services and provides information on getting the best from a health or disability service.

Trustee Corporations Association (TCA)

Trustee Corporations Association is an industry membership association to which most statutory supervisory service firms also belong.

Contact TCA to:

  • Find out about the TCA role and the TCA complaint process

A word about rest homes

Long-term residential care does not include independent living in a retirement village.

If a person with an Licence To Occupy (LTO), has been assessed as requiring long-term residential care indefinitely and qualifies for Government funding (the residential care subsidy), the LTO will need amending before the subsidy can be paid.

The person, or someone on their behalf, should approach the provider to end the LTO or amend it to exclude services covered by the DHB Contract (contracted care services) so the provider is not paid twice for the same set of services.

Providers who charge subsidised residents or anyone else for services under an LTO that are covered by the Age Related Residential Care Contract are in breach of that Contract.

District health boards (DHBs) are responsible for funding residential care services for older people under the Social Security Act 1964. DHBs have a contract with rest home or hospital owners (‘providers’) to provide long-term residential care (‘contracted care services’) to residents who are eligible for government funding through the residential-care subsidy.

Only rest homes or hospitals that have achieved Certification under the Health and Disability Services (Safety) Act 2001 and comply with the Health and Disability Sector Standards 2001 can have a contract with DHBs. Rest homes and hospitals that have an Age Related Residential Care Contract with a DHB are referred to in these Questions and Answers as ‘DHB contracted care facilities’.

DHBs are responsible for ensuring that there are sufficient contracted care beds available to people assessed as requiring long-term residential care indefinitely.